Monday, March 19, 2007

Hand-dye success!

Here's what I spent my Sunday doing...

Fingering, 80/20 Merino/Silk, hand-painted

Fingering, 80/20 Merino/Silk
Hand-painted



Fingering, Merino, Kettle-dyed

Fingering, Merino
Kettle-Dyed



Worsted, Merino, Kettle-dyed

Worsted, Merino
Kettle-dyed



Worsted, Merino, Kettle-dyed

Worsted, Merino
Kettle-dyed



I so love using my acid dyes. It takes a lot more prep-work than using Wilton's, but the actual dyeing process is quicker and I am loving the results. It is very interesting that I used the exact same stock mixtures for the two fingering-weight yarns and the difference came from the dyeing method. The hand-painted is very dark and exact while the kettle-dyed has a softer, washed-out look to it. I'm thinking Bengal as a name for the hand-painted colorway, and Sandstone or Autumn Wood as a name for the kettle-dyed colorway. Aquamarine is a logical name for the turquoise-colored skein, so I think that's a keeper. Nothing screams out to me for the Blue/Green/Yellow one, the names I have bumping around my head all seem cumberson or don't do the color combination justice.

Before I get too far ahead of myself, I am going to try to recreate the two kettle variegateds tonight or tomorrow night. I took lots of notes, so lets hope that is enough.

Thanks for looking!